Who comes on our trips
Covering a wide range of ages, from as young as 12 to over 90 years old, and many disabilities, our clients come from all over Kent, Sussex and Surrey.
Groups organised by their local Church, Day Centres, Schools and Colleges, Community Groups and many more - we cater for a wide variety of people including:
- Age UK
- Alzheimers Society
- Barton Court Care Home
- Canterbury Oast Trust
- Crossroads Young Carers
- Mortimer Society
- Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Newington Court Care Home
- Priory Group
- Royal British Legion Industries
- Seven Springs (Leonard Cheshire Homes)
- Weald Trust for the Disabled
- Winchester House Nursing Home
Some quotes from our comments book
- “An absolutely fantastic day...we spotted 4 or 5 Kingfishers as well as countless swans.Our pupils absolutely love the Kingfisher boat trips. They are one of the highlights of our year and the pupils (and staff) talk about them throughout the year. The photos are a joy to share and the crew on the boats are fantastic with our pupils.” Meadowfield Special School, Sittingbourne
- “We look forward to the Kingfisher trip every summer. We have clients that are in wheelchairs, have poor mobility, or are partially sighted and each and every person comes back with positive feedback. The crew are hands on and are known to my clients as lovely they put everyone at ease and ensure they have a lovely day seeing the swans and experiencing going through the locks etc. I never have any qualms about booking the Kingfisher as I know they will provide a safe, enjoyable day to remember..” Involve Kent, Maidstone
- “Really enjoyable day out. In spite of the wet weather there was a warm, friendly and relaxing atmosphere…” St Peter’s Church, Maidstone
- “What a wonderful day on the river away from the hustle and bustle of the city…” Active lives, Canterbury
- “The kids have had such fun when helping out with the locks and driving the boat!” Lee Manning, Parents Consortium
- "Fantastic time today...having fun with my friends…” Tonbridge Mencap
Facts and figures
Since we started operating in May 2007 we have provided 2,439 (234) trips carrying a total of 19,960 (1,904) passengers of which over 2,079 (176) were in wheelchairs.
To operate the boat five days a week from May to the end of September we have a willing group of volunteers.
With 47 trained crew, of which 10 are qualified skippers, we can make sure that each day is covered efficiently and safely.
The overall responsibility for the running of the trips and maintenance of the boat falls on the following Board of Trustees, again all volunteers, and each with their own duties:
- Secretary: Keith Sanham 01622 687917
- Tony Broadrick 01622 735407
- Gary Smith 01732 522280
- Pete Harris 01227 751694
- Mike Subert 01622 890971
- Jane Rogers 01732 850329
- Steve Wood 01622 884748
Where we operate from
Kingfisher is berthed at Medway Wharf Marina, Bow Bridge, Wateringbury, Kent ME18 5ED
The boat has its own mobile phone 07367 114586 which is on from 9.30am until 4pm Monday to Fridays.
To print off a detailed map and view directions; go to Google maps or click HERE to use the map shown below which has arrival and parking directions.